Friday, April 30, 2010

Poetry readings

A friend of mine asked me to come
to a poetry reading - I did.
Now I know why I avoid these things
like the plaque
I could not always hear
what was said.
Maybe it is me.
Poetry is a solitary act
unless slamming it out
(in which case it is meant to be
part of a whole in an open setting).
One student with dreadlocks
and baggy pants I asked
what he did in his spare time
and he said writing rap songs
I told him - I am a poet too
he looked at me -
a new concept that his rap
is poetry - just of a different kind
so whether you are a rapper
or a lyricist
or just a house word smith
we are all poets
and our readings may bring
the reader what she needs or not
it makes no difference
but to the writer of these words
it is karma or therapy
no money - in solitude.

No comments: