Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Train ghost

The ghost on the train
into Melbourne City and back
was friendly but insistant
he was not going to cede his place
he hammered, he pounded,
he shattered my peaceful rides
I tracked his movements
it was not a battle I won.
The memory of two trips taken
almost two years ago stood out
he talked I listened
that was how I saw our relationship.
Now - he will never talk again
I shall forever bee haunted
between Ashburton and Flinders Street
and back
by a quiet August weekend
where I was allowed to relive
some point of my innoncent youth
thirty-three years gone by
Cambridge - Copenhagen - Melbourne
oh train spirit - I shall remember
because you are gone - spirit of poetry
of youthful hope and joy and resentment
because I could not love the way
you did - animus of mine
phanthom of my train ride today
you are dead - yet you push yourself
through everytime I ride that train
until I am gone too.

No comments: