Wednesday, December 04, 2013

A guestbook

Once upon a time
about 65 years ago
my parents got
a guest book
Through 20 anni
it came out
for invitees
into our home
mostly dinners
and parties - .
Nobody wrote
anything but good
and those who
probably thought
otherwise - didn't.
The thing which
stands out is
clearly how many
foreigners we had.
The guestbook
covered my
formative years.
Often I was put
to bed before
or ate in the kitchen
but the openness
remained ingrained
and the hospitality
would be anybody's
wishful copying.
One thing is certain
my parents (aka my dad)
loved people and
fed off their vibes.
So when I read it
I see glimpses of
child and adulthood
mine the kid
and my forebears
the grown ups -
parties and more
entangled fates
not forgotten
because they are
still here and
in my mind, but when
I go - they shall
cease to exist....

No comments: