Tuesday, October 08, 2013

"We will always have Paris"

In Paris we met
a long time ago
43 years of friendship
in Quartier Latin I heard
you were no more
A short while back

In France I listened,
your voice - you
talking your mellow voice
of experience -
openly gay - later -
you were always you.

In Copenhagen where
you chose to live away
from a different childhood
in wartime Germany
adopted and adapted
to your environment.

In Denmark you felt
at home and created
a sphere of friendships
with special females
and surely a wonderous
male friend - the love.

In Paris you two went
on a trip - and he died
in your arms - the policeman
luckily understood
and did no harm
to your sorrow -.

In Hellerup you gave
dinners and lunches
to all your friends and
every time I came home
it was to you I turned
for counselling.

In Cazouls you came
to my little house
and we had a blast last summer
you brought me
the painting that you did
"L'artichaut".

You explained on Strandvejen
that you felt different
and you were no more than six
when you knew - .
Torn between to countries
never letting quite go.

Travelling to Istanbul
went one of your last trips
and amazed at Hagia Sophia
for that description
I should like to see it
with your eyes.

I end this tribute in Paris
where we were young
I fell in love with you
but knew that my love
would be that of a friend -
thanks for 43 years.

No comments: