Tuesday, July 24, 2007

House revisited

Knock Knock - who's there?
A lady standing
outside the glass door
to-day asking,
Do you speak French?
Oui Oui, is my reply.
I lived in your house 25 years ago!
How could I not invite her in?
I get goosebumps,
she told me.
It was my husband who did the stairs.
Each room - she saw - she said
It looks the same.
Time was away and somewhere else
for this lady, she was smiling.
I have to tell my daughter.
The arch in our living room
they found behind the walls.
They think it was a convent once.
The arch in the kitchen should also be there.
The cupboard on the landing
I left it, she said.
Here my daughter learned to walk.
I asked for her address,
she willingly gave it to me.
I will send her pictures one day
because she did me a favor.
Her obvious joy told me
she had been happy here -
just like me - in my nunnery!

No comments: